Wednesday, April 28, 2010

wisata bali

The wave curling on the seashore is addictive. It drives me back over again, to enjoy it with my surfboard. At the end, this is where finally I occupy most of my time. This is all began when I "gave up" my status as one of the Civil Engineering students of Udayana University in Denpasar, Bali. I "lost in space" at that time. I even underwent a job as a cab driver for three months. When I was finally fatigue and bored with my life in Denpasar, I decided to enjoy - and cope with - a life on a well known beach named Kuta.

Surfing finally became my daily routine, and I am a surfer until today. This outdoor activity and its social intercourse brought me to a meeting with a German, and we made friends. This friend of mine had a dream to be a surf photographer. Unfortunately, he gave up his dream. On the other hand, I was in luck. He gave me all of his water photography gears, like camera, lens and housing. It happened in the era of film camera.

After that, I started to learn photography, which was all unknown to me. I did not know anything about photography and its basic skill. Yet, my eagerness to surfing made photography so easy for me to learn. Besides surfing, surf photography was my daily routine. With the only gears I had, I practiced water photography because I captured surfers' action in the water. To create better photos, I kept learning from foreign photographers. Perhaps, that was the beginning of surf photography by a local photographer.

Apparently, obstacles were all in front of me, including of how expensive was the price of a film at that time. However, everything was completely gone through because of my eagerness and loyalty. Day by day, my photo collection got bigger. Because of this, many friends, including the foreign ones, suggested me to make a local surfing tabloid or magazine for Bali/Indonesia, and I succeeded in making it happened. In the year of 1999, the first surfing Indonesian magazine was established, namely Surf Time.

The first edition was published in November in the same year. Unfortunately, it was operating for one and a half year only. Maybe, it was merely because of my mind running too simple. After the Surf Time, a friend from Swiss invested a capital to make the first Indonesian skater magazine, namely Flip. Nonetheless, this magazine was published in three editions only. The reason was clear; we had not enough knowledge in that field. Besides, it is obvious that my world did not belong to skateboarding. The keenness on surfing had pushed me back to establish a medium for surfing community.

No comments:

Post a Comment